[CentOS] Transition test report going from CentOS8 to Debian 10.

Sat Feb 6 06:43:40 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

>> I did the move and also looked at several source RPMs. One thing to note
>> is that by default, you'll end up with packages replaced by updated
>> packages from UEK repository. I've removed the UEK repo and replaced all
>> packages with the corresponding base packages. That brings you very
>> close
>> to what you have with RHEL/CentOS. Additionally what I found in the
>> source
>> RPMs is that Oracle decided to add some patches/changes fixings issues
>> tracked in Oracle tracking system.
>>
>> I don't think these changes are a problem because they mostly fix things
>> which maybe RedHat voted not to fix. At least that's my impression.
>>

> If you mean that Oracle has patched the base packages, then surely it
> is then no longer a RHEL clone. The whole point of CentOS was that it
> was a RHEL clone, warts and all.  In that context it doesn't matter how
> close you get to RHEL, it still isn't the same.

Sure, it's truly not 100% the same. But, whenever we found an issue in
CentOS, the first thing was to verify if the upstream Red Hat package has
the same issue. The procedure is exactly the same now with OL or any other
close relative and nothing changes in the way to handle bugs.

Simon