[CentOS] Challenging times in trying to access oracle Linux documentation

Sat Feb 6 03:53:01 UTC 2021

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 7:27 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 10:23:37AM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
>>
>> Speaking for myself only, I have no problem with anyone posting Oracle
>> Linux questions, answers or solutions in this mailing list.  I think
>> that as time goes on, OL and Rocky Linux will start to get more
>> discussion and coverage here.  Since they are all very similar to each
>> other, most of the solutions for one will likely be applicable to all
>> anyway and if there's a better alternative offered on one of the
>> others, then that's worth knowing as well.
>
> This is a CentOS list.  The other distros you mention have their own
> venues for support and discussion and those should be used.

I agree with your sentiment, John, but the fact that folks fled is due to CentOS (owned by RedHat, of course) doing. And they use most logical way for their discussion: the CentOS refugees ask their kin in quite logical place: CentOS list, where they all were prospering in the past.

Incidentally, I for one do not blame CentOS in the fact that I have to move my workstations/numbercrunchers to different Linux (Debian). I could have analyzed the fact when it was announced that CentOS project is owned by RedHat, and should have expect potential turn. Not a big deal, servers are FreeBSD for long time already for different reason. But I can understand the folks for whom it turned out a big deal. Like the ones recommending their customers CentOS…

Just my $0.02

Valeri