[CentOS] How to install XFCE on CentOS 8?

Thu Feb 25 15:21:50 UTC 2021

On 2/25/21 8:28 AM, Simon Matter wrote:

>> On 25/02/2021 13:37, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> They run into the same interdependency.. but because they have
>>> organically
>>> grown their distro every day, those dependencies grew 1 at a time.
>>>
>>> For EPEL and other EL repos you have to jump multiple Fedora releases to
>>> catch up. So in EL6 we were Fedora Linux 12. In EL7.0 we had to jump and
>>> rebuild from scratch a lot of Fedora Linux 18 and Fedora Linux 19 and
>>> then
>>> progressed up to about Fedora 24 as various parts got rebased and
>>> upgraded
>>> to 7.9. For EL8, we have to jump to Fedora Linux 28 and then each dot
>>> release rebase parts while keeping other parts back because rebasing is
>>> focused. [This means that if something needs glibc-2.32 you can't put it
>>> in
>>> EL8 without a lot of patching to make it work with whatever changed...
>>> but
>>> some other related components may be able to recompile fine.]
>>>
>>> Thus you need people who enjoy that kind of work to do this because EPEL
>>> is
>>> nearly all volunteer work. I had to work after hours or take vacation
>>> time
>>> to work on getting EPEL-8 out so that I could get focused effort on it.
>>> Most people don't have that 'luxury' and so the number of volunteers is
>>> small but the expectation that it will be there is large.

>> I was recently looking at Raymond's book "The Art of UNIX Programming"
>> from 2003.  He, along with contributors Thompson (inventor of UNIX),
>> Kernigham (C and AWK), Korn and others of that callibre, espouse
>> creating "little tools" that do one job reliably and well.  The likes of
>> Gnome or systemd certainly would never fit into this philosophy.  I
>> really think we have lost a lot of maintainability and ease of
>> management over the last 20 years as applications are stretched to do
>> ever more.
>> --
>> J Martin Rushton MBCS
>
> Or you can say it with Henry Spencers words:
>
> Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

Alas, the whole thing stems from more global trend. The world became
ruled pretty much on all levels by bureaucrats. They have no real
knowledge or hands on experience in the field they rule. The paradigm
for them is: they can find and hire (and replace on the whim) those who
will do actual job. Without knowledge the only way they can select whom
to hire is by looking at the number of certificates.Those are abundant
mostly in relation to MS products.The judgement of how well systems are
maintained is based on checked boxes in questionnaires such as "is
antivirus installed?" (which is irrelevant to UNIX, Linux or MacOS
systems)... And, of course, they are willing the "anti-virus style"
scanner run [with root privileges] from their [much less secure] box on
your UNIX machines. Whereas long ago it was established that anti-virus
idea is logically flawed: you can not enumerate bad, you can enumerate
good and prohibit everything else.

And the list goes on and on...

Which pretty much explains the deficiencies we observe today in the
state of the art.

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev