[CentOS] How to query which yum package groups a particular package is member of

Wed Jan 27 20:31:05 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 at 15:27, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 at 15:23, Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>
> wrote:
>
>> --On Wednesday, January 27, 2021 8:07 PM +0000 J Martin Rushton via
>> CentOS
>> <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Here's how to find the package for a particular file:
>>
>> That one's easy and I use this all the time:
>>
>> rpm -qf full-file-name
>>
>> I'm looking for how to get the yum group for a package. (I'm guessing a
>> package might even be in more than one group?) That would help explain
>> how
>> the dnsmasq package got installed on my system. (It was never enabled by
>> systemd and isn't required by any other package. So I went ahead and
>> erased
>> it to free the space and reduce my attack surface.)
>>

> yum group list
>
> then look at the groups installed
>
> yum group info <group>
>
> as in
>
> yum group info base

or one can look for the comps file in /var/cache/yum

network-tools has dnsmasq listed as a package

repoquery says the following on my rhel box
NetworkManager-1:1.4.0-20.el7_3.x86_64
libvirt-daemon-driver-network-0:4.5.0-36.el7_9.3.x86_64

--
Stephen J Smoogen.