[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Wed Jan 6 12:50:17 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> Am 06.01.21 um 03:01 schrieb Scott Robbins:
>> On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 11:31:34PM +0000, Jamie Burchell wrote:
>>> Off topic for sure, but it's a shame this has to be a manual process of
>>> destroying and rebuilding every X years. Even Microsoft has gone the
>>> Apple
>>> way and just perpetually updates Windows 10 now.
>>
>> I'm not sure how it will go. Fedora now has a very good upgrade tool
>> that
>> has worked for me through a few versions.  So, hopefully, RH, and CentOS
>> will have one too, who knows, maybe in time to migrate to Stream-9.
>>

> Fedora's package set is quite "stable". You can expect that a package is
> in the next release. This is not so valid for EL. Deprecated packages
> (ImageMagick in EL7 but not in EL8) make such upgrade path difficult ...

It's anyway hard to understand how an enterprise grade Linux can be
shipped without things like ImageMagick or Tomcat. For quite some time now
it gives me the impression that we're not the targeted audience anymore.

That's really sad because the competitors still include such important
software as first class citizens. Maybe our requirements are just too old
school?

Simon