[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Wed Jan 6 17:42:00 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 11:17, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

>> process
>> the

>> tool
>> Stream-9.

>> package
>> packages
>> difficult

>> time
>> anymore.
>> >>

>> > The issue is that 'Enterprise' is an overloaded term without the
>> nuance
>> it
>> > needs. In the 'small' enterprise you have a lot of use of ImageMagick
>> and
>> > TomCat. In the large enterprise of 100,000+ servers.. it isn't. As
>> more
>> of
>> > the large enterprises moved into RHEL, the amount of usage for a lot
>> of
>> > 'leaf' programs became rounding errors without enough usage to justify
>> the
>> > bug-fixing needed when compared to the load of
>> bugfixing/enhancements/etc
>> > in the 100k customers.
>>
>> Thanks for confirming that RHEL is the wrong OS for SME businesses these
>> days. It's not really good for SME servers and not really good for SME
>> clients. Something between Fedora and RHEL could be it but it doesn't
>> exist.
>>

> I didn't say or mean that. My answer is that it is complicated and more
> meant that the software you expect requires more than the industry in
> general is willing to pay to keep going. 10-20 years ago they were and so
> the software was able to be 'mainstream'. As less people use it, and less
> people are willing to pay for its maintenance the harder it is to keep
> 'running safely'. Tomcat and Imagemagick have had a LOT of severe security

I'd like to correct myself, ImageMagick was not simply removed but
replaced by GraphicsMagick. From what I read it should be a usable
solution as it's a fork from IM.

For the Tomcat thing, I don't agree. Tomcat is widely used and I think the
security concerns are not the real reason to remove it. It more likely
that RedHat simply likes to sell more JBoss EAP. It's their right to do so
but it's a removal of important functionality of the base RHEL package.

Regards,
Simon