[CentOS] CentOS Stream suitability as a production webserver

Wed Jan 6 18:42:47 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 12:42, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> >> wrote:
>
> > I didn't say or mean that. My answer is that it is complicated and more
> > meant that the software you expect requires more than the industry in
> > general is willing to pay to keep going. 10-20 years ago they were and so
> > the software was able to be 'mainstream'. As less people use it, and less
> > people are willing to pay for its maintenance the harder it is to keep
> > 'running safely'. Tomcat and Imagemagick have had a LOT of severe
> security
>
> I'd like to correct myself, ImageMagick was not simply removed but
> replaced by GraphicsMagick. From what I read it should be a usable
> solution as it's a fork from IM.
>
> For the Tomcat thing, I don't agree. Tomcat is widely used and I think the
> security concerns are not the real reason to remove it. It more likely
> that RedHat simply likes to sell more JBoss EAP. It's their right to do so
> but it's a removal of important functionality of the base RHEL package.

I honestly have no idea how much Tomcat is used anymore. The various places
that I worked previously or have contacts with have killed it off by moving
whatever used it to external cloud services versus JBOSS or anything else.
That is just an anecdata but it is all I have on the subject.