[CentOS] RHEL changes

Fri Jan 22 17:04:26 UTC 2021

> On Jan 22, 2021, at 5:12 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:
>
> On 1/22/21 9:29 AM, Marc Balmer via CentOS wrote:
>>> Hence it is as good as dead in my mind when looking into the future, I
>>> am looking for future distro of choice.
>>
>> A little mentioned choice would be openSUSE, which is direction I am taking.
>
> I do not like system where configuration app can overwrite manualy set
> config. I started with ClarkConnect in 2005-2006 and to route public
> subnet into my network I had to delete last iptables command then add my
> own, but only after config system did it's own iptables commands. I had
> to learn iptables before any other Linux commands and although I
> mastered it, it is left in unpleasant memory (it took me weeks and help
> from rare Linux admins to find a solution).
>
> I did try SUSE around 2000 but it was complicated to do manual changes
> (if it was not provided in YAST), so after ClarkConnect I had no desire
> to even experiment with YAST.

I tried SUSE maybe 2-3 years later than you (around 2003). The first thing I disliked was: they have yast on top of standard configurations. First of all, it is quite unpleasant to deal with: infinitely long single file containing all configs. Next, you change one single thing, and yast to enable your change touches all config files. Some time after you made some change you discover something (unrelated) doesn’t work anymore, and you can not use timestamps to investigate when bad change happened and how. I was joking about SUSE with my German friends: how come German tool is named as abbreviation of English (yet another system tool), not German?

But what really did it for me was: stock installation from SUSE DVD (that specific release) was easily crashed by program with memory leak run by regular user. I replace SUS stock kernel with downloaded and compiled with all default option kernel from kernel.org, and it happily kills memory leaking program (even the one run by root). Not kernel shipped with SUSE. This: memory leak, out of memory condition is one of the tests I usually do when I’m testing [quite] new for me system (and some other stuff).

I turned away from SUSE then, and never looked back.

Just my $0.02

Valeri