[CentOS] RHEL changes

Sun Jan 24 04:05:51 UTC 2021
Konstantin Boyandin <lists at boyandin.info>

On 22.01.2021 21:08, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2021, at 6:43 AM, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:
>>
>> On 22/1/2021 2:25 μ.μ., Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS wrote:
>>
>>> Also, I can still expect they will again change their mind close to
>>> 2021's end. In short, I have hard time trusting RH in such a situation.
>>

> Then flee from RedHat AND clones. RedHat can do things making life of
 clones hard, different, constantly needing to invest into change. And they may
 give up.

> But it is your decision about your future, and yours to deal with
 consequences.

> Am I not stating the obvious?
>
> Valeri

I appreciate your playing Captain Obvious, as well as your polite style
of trying to shut me up.

Let me play Captain Obvious as well.

The December RH announcement came while I was in a middle of upgrading a
number of CentOS installations. Switching to different distributions
might be both time consuming and tricky, especially in case of big
companies. We already switched many servers/VMs to alternate
distributions, but there are RHEL-based ones we just can't leave, and
PITA that RH initiated doesn't help at all.

Actually, I'll make use of that last RH offer on less-critical servers,
which can be, if required, quickly shut down and re-formatted under
different distributions.

I assist in maintaining several RHEL installations, and I brought
several paying customers to RH during those many years. I assume you
understand that I will express my concerns without asking anyone's
permission.

Thanks again.

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)