[CentOS] RHEL changes

Sun Jan 24 04:43:46 UTC 2021

> On Jan 23, 2021, at 10:05 PM, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>
> On 22.01.2021 21:08, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>> Then flee from RedHat AND clones. RedHat can do things making life of
> clones hard, different, constantly needing to invest into change. And they may
> give up.
>>
>> But it is your decision about your future, and yours to deal with
> consequences.
>>
>> Am I not stating the obvious?
>>
>> Valeri
>
> I appreciate your playing Captain Obvious, as well as your polite style
> of trying to shut me up.
>
> Let me play Captain Obvious as well.
>
> The December RH announcement came while I was in a middle of upgrading a
> number of CentOS installations. Switching to different distributions
> might be both time consuming and tricky, especially in case of big
> companies. We already switched many servers/VMs to alternate
> distributions, but there are RHEL-based ones we just can't leave, and
> PITA that RH initiated doesn't help at all.
>
> Actually, I'll make use of that last RH offer on less-critical servers,
> which can be, if required, quickly shut down and re-formatted under
> different distributions.
>
> I assist in maintaining several RHEL installations, and I brought
> several paying customers to RH during those many years. I assume you
> understand that I will express my concerns without asking anyone's
> permission.

I hear you. It is always sad when something you estimated will last suddenly changes. In that respect I was lucky. Of dozens of things I chose during last couple of decades maybe one or two had suddenly changed. For the rest of my sysadmin's decisions I pretty much was able to stay with what I have chosen. I can remember decisions I didn’t make which would be devastating in a short future to come. One was open solaris. When it became a challenge to have long uptime of Linux machine, basically, after 2.4 kernel was replaced with 2.6, (then it was 45 days on average, kernel of glibc update == reboot), I stared to look for alternative system for servers. Some of my friends started to use the word Lindoze (referring mostly to these often reboots and analogy when you have to reboot Windows system after update). One of alternatives was open solaris. It was about that time when Oracle bought out Sun Microsystems. Another joke comes to my mind. We then were asking ourselves: how do we call the system then? Just repeat faster and faster “Sun Oracle”, and you will finally get it right: “snorkel”. Anyway, FreeBSD won the choice then for me, and my servers run FreeBSD since then (since FreeBSD version 8), - for about 10 years now I figure. Of course, I run server a bit more sophisticated way: given server may not exist, it runs in 3-4 different FreeBSD jails (a couple of services - which you can not separate - in each of jails). Things get so easy then, any update or upgrade is just a dream...

I tried to remember an example of the choice that didn’t last, apparently there should have been one or two like that, I just can’t remember them. So, I filled the place with the one that would go bad but didn’t make it into the decision, the good one was chosen instead.

I know I am lucky here as far as CentOS change is concerned: mine are merely number crunchers and workstations I had to and did find new route for (Debian for NVIDIA - free machines, and Ubuntu for those needing NVIDIA proprietary stuff).

Good luck, everybody else, to find your future, and best wishes to go the way that will last for you. To make sure the choice will last with every choice of my sysadmin’s career really required a lot of consideration, and some luck (which I guess I had in abundance with my choices).

Valeri