[CentOS] RHEL changes

Mon Jan 25 16:04:26 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 1/22/21 5:12 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 1/22/21 9:29 AM, Marc Balmer via CentOS wrote:
>>> Hence it is as good as dead in my mind when looking into the future, I
>>> am looking for future distro of choice.
>>
>> A little mentioned choice would be openSUSE, which is direction I am taking.
>
> I do not like system where configuration app can overwrite manualy set
> config. I started with ClarkConnect in 2005-2006 and to route public
> subnet into my network I had to delete last iptables command then add my
> own, but only after config system did it's own iptables commands. I had
> to learn iptables before any other Linux commands and although I
> mastered it, it is left in unpleasant memory (it took me weeks and help
> from rare Linux admins to find a solution).
>
> I did try SUSE around 2000 but it was complicated to do manual changes
> (if it was not provided in YAST), so after ClarkConnect I had no desire
> to even experiment with YAST.

I have no issues with OpenSUSE .. but how is OpenSUSE any better than
CentOS Stream?

It is not like we are rolling rawhide packages into CentOS Stream.  They
are updating already created Enterprise Packages in current RHEL with
Bug Fixes and Security Fixes and a small number of rebases (Enhamcments
Fixes).  But the enhancements are not from Rawhide, they are rebases
very close to the current releases.

Again .. absolutely nothing wrong with using OpenSUSE (or Ubuntu or
Debian, etc).  I just do not see the advantage.

I mean, I get it, some people are very upset with the new way CentOS is
being done.  And obviously people get to think what they think.  But
when this was announced, it was also announced that RHEL was going to be
opened up early in Q1 of 2021 (which has happened and is still happening).