[CentOS] RHEL changes

Mon Jan 25 20:05:12 UTC 2021
Marc Balmer <marc at msys.ch>

> Am 25.01.2021 um 17:04 schrieb Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>:

>>> A little mentioned choice would be openSUSE, which is direction I am taking.
>>
>> I do not like system where configuration app can overwrite manualy set
>> config. I started with ClarkConnect in 2005-2006 and to route public
>> subnet into my network I had to delete last iptables command then add my
>> own, but only after config system did it's own iptables commands. I had
>> to learn iptables before any other Linux commands and although I
>> mastered it, it is left in unpleasant memory (it took me weeks and help
>> from rare Linux admins to find a solution).
>>
>> I did try SUSE around 2000 but it was complicated to do manual changes
>> (if it was not provided in YAST), so after ClarkConnect I had no desire
>> to even experiment with YAST.
>>

> I have no issues with OpenSUSE .. but how is OpenSUSE any better than
> CentOS Stream?

openSUSE is honest.

The CentOS project, RedHat, you, lied to us when you published CentOS 8
and claiming it would be supported until 2029.  We believed you because of
the good reputation you had built up with previous CentOS releases.

We suggested CentOS 8 to our customers.  And we have been badly f***ed
the a**.  Sorry for the wording that you may assume, but that is how it is.

> It is not like we are rolling rawhide packages into CentOS Stream.  They
> are updating already created Enterprise Packages in current RHEL with
> Bug Fixes and Security Fixes and a small number of rebases (Enhamcments
> Fixes).  But the enhancements are not from Rawhide, they are rebases
> very close to the current releases.
>
> Again .. absolutely nothing wrong with using OpenSUSE (or Ubuntu or
> Debian, etc).  I just do not see the advantage.

I see one big advantage:  These are honest projects, while you are liars.

> I mean, I get it, some people are very upset with the new way CentOS is
> being done.  And obviously people get to think what they think.  But
> when this was announced, it was also announced that RHEL was going to be
> opened up early in Q1 of 2021 (which has happened and is still happening).

So where is the option to install a RHEL system at a customer site, like I was
able with CentOS?

Really, you (as in the CentOS project) totally screwed it.