[CentOS] Centos versions in the future?

Thu Jul 8 12:38:48 UTC 2021
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2021-07-08 13:22 Nikolaos Milas ha scritto:
> If some people want to leave the RHEL ecosystem for Debian or FreeBSD,
> that's OK. But for those who want to stay in the RHEL world, Rocky
> Linux stands as a rock-solid solution. This opinion does not reject
> other CentOS clones, but emphasizes the fact that Rocky Linux appears
> to be a solid option for now and the years to come.

While true, I also feel that RH is trying to actively shape its
distribution away from small enterprise needs. For example, common
packages are deprecated and/or removed (eg: virt-manager, screen,
kernel-side DRBD, pam_mysql, etc) and EPEL 8 (which is fundamental to my
CentOS/Rocky installations) is in a bad state.

My impression is that RH is following cloud vendors & hyperscale needs -
with Stream as a clear example. This is not an inherently bad thing, but
it quite different from what the small and medium businesses I service
need.

So, while closely watching RH/CentOS/Rocky, I am going to steer new
deployments on Ubuntu LTS or Debian.
Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan