[CentOS] OT: firefox question

Fri Jul 23 15:43:04 UTC 2021

Dear Experts,

My question is OT, as it is related to firefox, not CentOS system per
se. Even more: my firefox runs on FreeBSD workstation. But I figured
this list have largest likelihood of having experts in firefox (as well
as on other things), so...

My firefox behavior changed after one of recent updates..

When one logs in to website that is locked using web password (e.g., set
in .htacess/.htpasswd in apache), one gives username/password once. Then
firefox remembers that while firefox is running, and you don't have to
give credentials (though authentication does happen behind the scenes
all the time since). But not anymore for me at least on my (FreeBSD)
workstation: in the morning I discover firefox (though it had not been
restarted) asks yet again credentials to websites I have been logged to.
As if firefox purges credentials to websites after some period of time
(or inactivity on those websites).

This stared happening not long ago after one of updates firefox is known
to release annoyingly often (as in: mozilla foundation forgot the
meaning of the word "release" which means well debugged code some time
about decade ago...).

I tried to find relevant setting in GUI preferences to no avail (maybe
it is just me?), and hope, experts know deeper lying preferences, and
may point me to relevant one.

All in all, I'm forced back onto my pursuit for replacement for firefox
browser...

Thanks a lot for all your answers. And my apologies for rant (which I
was not able to separate due to my frustration...).

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago