[CentOS] OT: firefox question

Fri Jul 23 15:49:57 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 11:43, Valeri Galtsev <galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> My question is OT, as it is related to firefox, not CentOS system per
> se. Even more: my firefox runs on FreeBSD workstation. But I figured
> this list have largest likelihood of having experts in firefox (as well
> as on other things), so...
>
> My firefox behavior changed after one of recent updates..
>
> When one logs in to website that is locked using web password (e.g., set
> in .htacess/.htpasswd in apache), one gives username/password once. Then
> firefox remembers that while firefox is running, and you don't have to
> give credentials (though authentication does happen behind the scenes
> all the time since). But not anymore for me at least on my (FreeBSD)
> workstation: in the morning I discover firefox (though it had not been
> restarted) asks yet again credentials to websites I have been logged to.
> As if firefox purges credentials to websites after some period of time
> (or inactivity on those websites).

Not happening for me on any of my platforms (though I don't have BSD
beyond Mac) so the usual suspects need to be checked:

1. Have the websites you log into changed their policies. A lot of
places are being required to shorten login credentials.
2. Is something causing your ip address for the workstation to change.
This can cause the server to see the existing login transaction as
invalid and requires reauthentication.
3. Is it something with that profile. Corruptions happen and sometimes
you either have to restore from before it happened or start over with
a new profile. The best way is to create a new profile and test but
you can also just mv .firefox to .firefox-broke and start over too.
Then log into some sites and then see if it happens.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in