[CentOS] [External] Re: Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

Wed Jul 14 14:25:36 UTC 2021
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> said:
> But in that situation, you expect runtime errors. In this case, the
> application doesn't just install, it also starts and stays running
> for as long as I care to let it. It just doesn't do anything useful.
> Not as far as I can tell, anyway. I guess part of the question was
> if I'm missing something. Like, perhaps it doesn't open any windows
> by default, but there's some obscure way to make them come up...

Like a number of "desktop apps" for web-based sites, Teams is an
Electron app.  That means it's really a package of Chrome plus the
site's client HTML/CSS/JavaScript, so you get all the fun bugs of
Chrome (with no way to upgrade it).  Microsoft's RPM does appear to have
all the proper RPM dependencies, so that's probably not the issue (as
long as it installs, they should be satisfied).

Have you run Teams before on this system?  If so, I've found that it
tends to bog down over time, which I suspect is something like it
growing a cache without bounds or the like.  If that's the case, I
suggest removing its data and re-logging in.  It looks like that
"~/.config/Microsoft/Microsoft Teams".

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>