[CentOS] Difference between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream

Fri Jul 23 18:13:10 UTC 2021
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 11:22:59AM +0300, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> Rocky Linux is here too and it steadily establishes itself as the
> new standard in terms of a CentOS successor.

>From what I'm seeing in terms of numbers from watching EPEL¹, CentOS Stream
is the most popular "successor". For RHEL rebuilds, Oracle is the most
popular but will soon be overtaken² by Alma Linux. Rocky Linux has just
started to show up on the radar; it'll be interesting to see what the trends
look like in six months.

Also worth noting that CentOS Linux continues to grow — this is CentOS Linux
8 installations, as this method doesn't include anything before that.

----

1. https://twitter.com/mattdm/status/1418631176839999489/photo/1

2. Caveat: Oracle Linux is undercounted here because they have their own
   EPEL rebuild

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>