[CentOS] Difference between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream

Fri Jul 23 18:13:42 UTC 2021
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 7/20/21 10:03 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 19/07/2021 à 21:38, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
>> Yes, some items, if you really need 10 years, would require Alma or
>> Rocky or Oracle if you don't want to pay for RHEL.
>
> Low risk updates over a ten year support cycle are the number one reason we've
> all been using "classic" CentOS in the first place.

And it was 7 years before it was 10 .. so 5 could certainly be good
enough for most people.  But not everyone.

Again .. I couldn't care less what anyone uses or how they feel about
things i can't control.  I am just saying, for the vast majority of
users, 5 years is OK and Steam is good enough and stable enough to use.
RHEL is based off it, it must be good enough.

Not trying to start a philosophical debate or a tread on how someone is
offended by such and such release date changing, etc.  Just stating that
Stream is good enough for almost anyone to use.  It has a lifetime as
good as Debian or Ubuntu LTS .. it gets security updates in a timely manner.

If it doesn't meet your needs (not you in particular Nicolas .. YOU in
the larger / plural sense) .. then use something that does.