[CentOS] Recommendations for webmail client on EL8

Mon Mar 1 16:43:28 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 10:27 AM, Jay Hart wrote:

>>> Hey Simon, take a look at Remi's repository ...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Leon
>>
>> Hi Leon, thanks.
>> I'm wondering why these things are not in EPEL?
>>
>> Simon

> Simon,
>
> I'm in same boat as you. I have a C6 machine running squirrelmail that I've been trying to get upgraded. I bought a new machine and have
> C8 installed, postfix, dovecot, SA, the works, running.  But, I couldn't get squirrelmail running.
>
> I'm also very interested in the answer to this question, "what webmail to run on C8" (or stream in the future).  I've looked at the same
> SW apps you have and have not really gotten a warm fuzzy over anything.
>
> I wonder if another tact to take would be to try to get squirrelmail more "modern". I know Les is still doing a bit of dev, but it does
> seem like squirrelmail is lagging behind.

I know this is irrelevant to CentOS and RedHat Enterprise, as I run
these on FreeBSD (in separate dedicated jail). I do have both of them:
roundcube and squirrelmail. When I tell my users about the options, I
tell them roundcube is modern and fancy. Squirrelmail, though same good,
is more older style. So, they have choices to match their taste.

And again, this is irrelevant to Linux. But both roundcube and
squirrelmail will not be phased out in close future (my own estimate),
though squirrelmail has reached the stage when new features will not be
added (nothing bad about that in my book).

Valeri