[CentOS] Recommendations for webmail client on EL8

Mon Mar 1 17:02:55 UTC 2021
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

>>> Hi Leon, thanks.
>>> I'm wondering why these things are not in EPEL?
>>>
>>> Simon

>> Simon,
>>
>> I'm in same boat as you. I have a C6 machine running squirrelmail that
>> I've been trying to get upgraded. I bought a new machine and have
>> C8 installed, postfix, dovecot, SA, the works, running.  But, I couldn't
>> get squirrelmail running.
>>
>> I'm also very interested in the answer to this question, "what webmail
>> to run on C8" (or stream in the future).  I've looked at the same
>> SW apps you have and have not really gotten a warm fuzzy over anything.
>>
>> I wonder if another tact to take would be to try to get squirrelmail
>> more "modern". I know Les is still doing a bit of dev, but it does
>> seem like squirrelmail is lagging behind.
>>

> I know this is irrelevant to CentOS and RedHat Enterprise, as I run
> these on FreeBSD (in separate dedicated jail). I do have both of them:
> roundcube and squirrelmail. When I tell my users about the options, I
> tell them roundcube is modern and fancy. Squirrelmail, though same good,
> is more older style. So, they have choices to match their taste.
>
> And again, this is irrelevant to Linux. But both roundcube and
> squirrelmail will not be phased out in close future (my own estimate),
> though squirrelmail has reached the stage when new features will not be
> added (nothing bad about that in my book).
>
> Valeri

Hi Valeri, I've just checked FreeBSD ports:

- squirrelmail latest with php 8
- roundcube 1.4.11 (latest) with php 7.4
- rainloop 1.15.0 (latest) with php 8
- horde-webmail 5.2.22 (latest) with php 8

Once again a slap in my face as an EL user :-)

But I have an idea, I'll look at the squirrelmail port closely and see how
I can include the updated code in my RPMs. Sounds like a solution - or
move everything to FreeBSD. I'm running a FreeBSD test VM for years and I
really like the upgrades the FreeBSD way!

Simon