[CentOS] Recommendations for webmail client on EL8

Mon Mar 1 17:23:11 UTC 2021

On 3/1/21 11:02 AM, Simon Matter wrote:

>>> Simon,
>>>
>>> I'm in same boat as you. I have a C6 machine running squirrelmail that
>>> I've been trying to get upgraded. I bought a new machine and have
>>> C8 installed, postfix, dovecot, SA, the works, running.  But, I couldn't
>>> get squirrelmail running.
>>>
>>> I'm also very interested in the answer to this question, "what webmail
>>> to run on C8" (or stream in the future).  I've looked at the same
>>> SW apps you have and have not really gotten a warm fuzzy over anything.
>>>
>>> I wonder if another tact to take would be to try to get squirrelmail
>>> more "modern". I know Les is still doing a bit of dev, but it does
>>> seem like squirrelmail is lagging behind.
>>>

>> I know this is irrelevant to CentOS and RedHat Enterprise, as I run
>> these on FreeBSD (in separate dedicated jail). I do have both of them:
>> roundcube and squirrelmail. When I tell my users about the options, I
>> tell them roundcube is modern and fancy. Squirrelmail, though same good,
>> is more older style. So, they have choices to match their taste.
>>
>> And again, this is irrelevant to Linux. But both roundcube and
>> squirrelmail will not be phased out in close future (my own estimate),
>> though squirrelmail has reached the stage when new features will not be
>> added (nothing bad about that in my book).
>>
>> Valeri
>
> Hi Valeri, I've just checked FreeBSD ports:
>
> - squirrelmail latest with php 8

Just for record: list of available packages (note PHP version):

squirrelmail-php73-20200422
squirrelmail-php74-20200422
squirrelmail-php80-20200422

> - roundcube 1.4.11 (latest) with php 7.4
> - rainloop 1.15.0 (latest) with php 8
> - horde-webmail 5.2.22 (latest) with php 8
>
> Once again a slap in my face as an EL user :-)
>
> But I have an idea, I'll look at the squirrelmail port closely and see how
> I can include the updated code in my RPMs. Sounds like a solution - or
> move everything to FreeBSD. I'm running a FreeBSD test VM for years and I
> really like the upgrades the FreeBSD way!

Running things in FreeBSD jails (only inseparable things in the same
jail) makes things extremely easy: such as upgrades to higher version,
updates, migration of servers, or when what you need depends on
different things which are incompatible. Several servers I run do not
exist as a machines, or individual systems: a host may be a bunch of
(2-5) different jails.

And I for one consider FreeBSD jails much more secure and significantly
slimmer an any virtualization solutions on Linux. But don't ask me to
prove the point ;-)

Valeri