[CentOS] Tar of files

Wed Mar 3 15:13:28 UTC 2021
Skylar Thompson <skylar2 at uw.edu>

Regular users don't have the ability to change file ownership (only group,
assuming they're a member of the target group and own the file), so this is
mainly a consideration if you're running tar as root. By default, if you're
running as root, GNU tar assumes the --same-owner switch, which preserves
the ownership in the archive. If the IDs are different, you can use --owner
or --owner-map to translate the IDs. If you need to get even trickier, you
can use --to-command and pass the stream to your own custom filter.