[CentOS] R730xd & SD card identfication

Sun Mar 7 23:38:48 UTC 2021
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Sun, 2021-03-07 at 11:17 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> We have migrated a platform to a Centos 8 host using kvm guest machines
>
> Recently I tried to copy one of the guests to the external SD card on
> the back of the Dell R730xd, but I have not been able to get the Centos
> 8 host to recognize the SD card.
>
> I can use DRAC interface of the R730xd to see that the SD card is being
> recognized and the status of the external SD slot is turned from
> inactive to active when the card is inserted.

I have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that that slot is
associated with the iDrac system and not the main board.

In any case doesn't that need a vFlash card not a standard SD/SDHC
card? From Wikipedia:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_DRAC

   To take advantage of storage greater than 256 MB on the iDRAC6
   enterprise, Dell requires that a vFlash SD card be procured through
   Dell channels. As of December 2011, Dell vFlash SD cards differ from
   consumer SD cards by being over-provisioned by 100% for increased
   write endurance and performance.[21]

   While there are no other known functional differences between a
   Dell-branded vFlash SD card and a class 2 or greater SDHC card, the
   use of non-Dell media prevents the use of extended capacities and
   functions.

P.