[CentOS] R730xd & SD card identfication

Mon Mar 8 00:50:43 UTC 2021
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.Net>

On Sun, 2021-03-07 at 11:17 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> We have migrated a platform to a Centos 8 host using kvm guest
> machines
>
> Recently I tried to copy one of the guests to the external SD card on
> the back of the Dell R730xd, but I have not been able to get the
> Centos
> 8 host to recognize the SD card.
>
> I can use DRAC interface of the R730xd to see that the SD card is
> being
> recognized and the status of the external SD slot is turned from
> inactive to active when the card is inserted.

I have a nagging feeling at the back of my mind that that slot is
associated with the iDrac system and not the main board.

In any case doesn't that need a vFlash card not a standard SD/SDHC
card? From Wikipedia:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_DRAC

   To take advantage of storage greater than 256 MB on the iDRAC6
   enterprise, Dell requires that a vFlash SD card be procured through
   Dell channels. As of December 2011, Dell vFlash SD cards differ from
   consumer SD cards by being over-provisioned by 100% for increased
   write endurance and performance.[21]

   While there are no other known functional differences between a
   Dell-branded vFlash SD card and a class 2 or greater SDHC card, the
   use of non-Dell media prevents the use of extended capacities and
   functions.

P.

Pete,

Thanks for your help!!!!

I am beginning to be persuaded you are right.  However, I have seen
some posts about putting vmware either on the SD card or internal usb
stick that made me think the SD card could be addressable.  If Dell has
this limited to Dell flash cards instead of a regular SD card that
might explain some of what I am seeing.

Greg