[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-dvd-2009.iso is too big for DVD blanks

Thu Mar 18 14:56:32 UTC 2021
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 3/18/21 10:23 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> [what can be done] I am guessing
> someone could make an unofficial set of spins which cut out some packages to try and make it fit in single density.

This is probably the solution at this point for the 'Full' DVD. In the
interim, older machines such as this should just use the 'Minimal' DVD,
since it fits on single-layer nicely.  (I hear or read single-density
and think FM encoding, 128 bytes per sector, 77-track IBM 3740 format 8
inch floppies......which are still in use in certain places...)  Same
for 8.x or 8 Stream -- oh, wait, there is no 'Minimal' ISO, so net
install or USB is it, can't use optical media at all.

You're right; we're rabbit-holing.  Being at a non-profit, I have to
rabbit hole a lot, since I tend to use much older hardware than 'normal.'