[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-dvd-2009.iso is too big for DVD blanks

Thu Mar 18 15:40:10 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 10:56, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:

> On 3/18/21 10:23 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > [what can be done] I am guessing
> > someone could make an unofficial set of spins which cut out some
> packages to try and make it fit in single density.
> >
> This is probably the solution at this point for the 'Full' DVD. In the
> interim, older machines such as this should just use the 'Minimal' DVD,
> since it fits on single-layer nicely.  (I hear or read single-density
> and think FM encoding, 128 bytes per sector, 77-track IBM 3740 format 8
> inch floppies......which are still in use in certain places...)  Same
> for 8.x or 8 Stream -- oh, wait, there is no 'Minimal' ISO, so net
> install or USB is it, can't use optical media at all.

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-2009.iso

There is a 7.9 minimal. There was no 8 minimal because composing is harder
and the 'minimum' set of packages did not shave off a lot of disk space.

> You're right; we're rabbit-holing.  Being at a non-profit, I have to
> rabbit hole a lot, since I tend to use much older hardware than 'normal.'

Understood. This is where the modern OS assumptions of  'you should be in
the cloud' and/or the 'your hardware must be only this old to be used'
cause a hard fork with parts of the community.