[CentOS] CentOS-7-x86_64-dvd-2009.iso is too big for DVD blanks

Thu Mar 18 21:40:57 UTC 2021
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On 3/18/21 10:23 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> [what can be done] I am guessing
>> someone could make an unofficial set of spins which cut out some packages
>> to try and make it fit in single density.
>>
> This is probably the solution at this point for the 'Full' DVD. In the
> interim, older machines such as this should just use the 'Minimal' DVD, since
> it fits on single-layer nicely.  (I hear or read single-density and think FM
> encoding, 128 bytes per sector, 77-track IBM 3740 format 8 inch
> floppies......which are still in use in certain places...)  Same for 8.x or 8
> Stream -- oh, wait, there is no 'Minimal' ISO, so net install or USB is it,
> can't use optical media at all.

I see at least two other possibilities,
supergrub and making the .iso file into a partition.
I've tried to boot fedora .iso partitions,
both with and without success.
That said, OP is using the netinstall version.
I'd expect that to be more reiable than either of my suggestions.
I'd have tried that before asking the list.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards