[CentOS] CentOS 7.3

Thu Mar 18 16:57:29 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 12:44, Mark Woolfson <mrw at mwcltd.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I wonder if you could help.
>

> I have a requirement to load CentOS 7.3 on to a server. I have the
> distribution on a bootable USB key.

What kind of server? This is a hardware issue and is going to need to know
what kind of CPU and what the firmware on the system is. My uninformed
guess is that the kernel is finding a large number of CPUs (either virtual
or real) and it is probably only fixed by the kernel/software in 7.4. [A
test would be to see if 7.2 also has this issue and if not then walk
through the kernels until it does.. then look at the change logs for when
it starts working again.]

Or I would try installing with a smaller number of CPUs with a command line
entry like

maxcpus=16 (if this system has 82+?)