[CentOS] RHEL/Centos 8 power off issue

Mon Mar 29 13:15:52 UTC 2021
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 3/29/21 2:22 AM, Łukasz Posadowski wrote:
> On 2021-03-28 at 21:17 -0600, R C wrote:
>> I have a laptop, in a docking station. When running RHEL/Centos 7
>> could shut it down and power it off by using 'shutdown -h now' In
>> did a
>> new install of Centos 8 (and also RHEL 8) and when I do a
>> "shutdown -h
>> now" it just reboots (behaves the same as if I'd do a reboot).
> You can check 'last -x' do ensure that You really send a shutdown
> signal.

I'll check that

>   Is it dell docking station, tha new one with usb-c? It
> always powers on the laptop as soon I switch the power cord and
> sometime reboots a laptop insted of shutting it down.

It is a Dell, but an older one. But it seems like the same issue. When
not in the docking station, it behaves like it is supposed to. I did
check the bios for  "power up on AC/usb/etc" except for WOL that's all
set right.

It only behaves like this when in the docking station."

> It is my work
> pc and I'm not allowed to boot Linux in any way, so I'm not sure if
> it's a Windows thing, or the station itself is malfunctioning.

Hmm.   I have a few of these docking stations, I mever had that issue
before, I installed/booted all kinds of Linux distros on it, never was
an issue until RHEL/Centos 8

Ron