[CentOS] Weird localectl behavior under CentOS 7

Sat May 15 10:48:36 UTC 2021
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

On a fresh CentOS 7 installation using Français/France as regional parameters
in the installer, here's what localectl looks like:

[microlinux at linuxbox ~]$ localectl
   System Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: ch-fr
      X11 Layout: ch
     X11 Variant: fr

Now I'd like to have my system messages in english. So I set the system
language accordingly:

$ sudo localectl set-locale LANG=en_US.utf8

Things seem to look OK now:

[microlinux at linuxbox ~]$ localectl
   System Locale: LANG=en_US.utf8
       VC Keymap: ch-fr
      X11 Layout: ch
     X11 Variant: fr

Except when I display my LANG variable, it's still fr_FR.UTF-8 for normal
users... but en_US.utf8 for root.

This looks like inconsistent or buggy behavior to me.

Any suggestions on how to change the default system locale LANG so that it's
en_US.utf8 for everybody *without* having to jump through burning loops and
putting it in everybody's ~/.bashrc ?

Cheers,

Niki

7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat