[CentOS] Ruby on Cent OS 8

Mon Nov 15 15:09:23 UTC 2021
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 10:04, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:

> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2021 at 09:18, Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another option is to migrate to an RHEL 8 -compatible OS, like Rocky
> >> Linux, AlmaLinux, Oracle Linux, Springdale Linux.
> >>
> >> (I remind that CentOS Stream is no more a RHEL 8 twin.)
> >>
> >> I have already migrated successfully all my CentOS 8 boxes to Rocky. (I
> >> am informed that in Academic Institutions in Greece -at least-, SysAdmin
> >> teams have also selected Rocky to migrate from CentOS 8.)
> >>
> >> Rocky seems to be gaining momentum as the main CentOS 8 successor.
> >>

> > Going off of EPEL8 client use meters, it is still a fair tie between
> > Rocky usage and Alma usage.
> >
> > Date | OS Name | Number of systems longer than 2 weeks old (so
> > probably not CI/Containers)
> > 2021-11-01 | Red Hat Enterprise Linux | 119625
> > 2021-11-01 | CentOS Linux | 461424
> > 2021-11-01 | CentOS Stream | 56902
> > 2021-11-01 | Oracle Linux | 20683
> > 2021-11-01 | AlmaLinux | 25880
> > 2021-11-01 | Rocky | 28167
>
> These figures are interesting but they can not be compared directly.
> Oracle has its own EPEL repo and therefore I guess that the number here
> shows only those who are using the official EPEL instead of the one
> provided by Oracle. That said, I expect that the true number of Oracle
> Linux installations is quite a bit higher than what we see here.

Correct and my deepest apologies for not saying so. I usually list the
Oracle caveat and I forgot to do so. The Oracle numbers are a lower
bound at best as it requires someone to install and/or convert to
Oracle and then use an upstream epel-release. Most Oracle users will
be using their rebuild of EPEL.