[CentOS] Any downside to mount -o noatime?

Fri Feb 11 01:03:44 UTC 2022
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 02:09:44PM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'd like to reduce the wear-and-tear on my SSDs and eliminate the
> unnecessary metadata writes on my backup media that only slow down
> the backup process. So I want to add noatime to all my mounts. Is
> there any downside to this?
>
> At one time I remember atime being useful for tmpwatch, which
> removes files in /tmp that haven't been accessed in a week or two.
> But I can live without that feature.

relatime has been the default for a long time -- that only updates atime
once per some reasonable timeperiod. The wear and tear from that is
negligible and you can still get a basic idea of when files where accessed.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>