[CentOS] Any downside to mount -o noatime?

Fri Feb 11 01:32:05 UTC 2022
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Thursday, February 10, 2022 8:03 PM -0500 Matthew Miller
<mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> relatime has been the default for a long time -- that only updates atime
> once per some reasonable timeperiod. The wear and tear from that is
> negligible and you can still get a basic idea of when files where
> accessed.

According to the man page for mount, relatime updates atime whenever mtime
or ctime are updated, or if neither has been updated in the last 24 hours.
Which is still prohibitive if you're doing an incremental (rsync) backup
and checking file contents on the "full" backup weekly or monthly.

The only apps I've found that need atime are tmpwatch and biff, neither of
which I use.