[CentOS] IPv6 token with /60 and prefix delegation

Mon May 9 16:16:49 UTC 2022
Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com>

On 5/8/22 05:00, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to assign a "static" address that
> automatically sets the prefix to what the ISP delegates. It seemed like
> the token system would accomplish that, but reading the kernel source
> code, I've discovered that tokens only work with a /64 delegation. My
> ISP offers a /60, so the token is ignored and I get a random address,
> instead.
>
> Is there some way to use prefix delegation to pick a /64 from the /60
> and loop it back onto the same interface to make it use the token? Or is
> this /64 restriction actually a kernel bug?

So right now, you're assigning a /60 address to your LAN interface?  If
so, you almost certainly shouldn't do that.  Instead, you should (as you
say) pick a /64 from within the delegated /60 and use that subnet.  (The
other /64 subnets within the /60 can be used for other VLANs.)

The details of doing this are going to be dependent on what software
you're using to manage the network - NetworkManager, ISC DHCP client,
etc.

Google                                      Where SkyNet meets Idiocracy