[CentOS] RAID1 setup

Wed Jan 11 01:20:54 UTC 2023

Official drives should be here Friday, so trying to get reading.

On 1/9/23 01:32, Simon Matter wrote:
> Hi
>
>> Continuing this thread, and focusing on RAID1.
>>
>> I got an HPE Proliant gen10+ that has hardware RAID support.  (can turn
>> it off if I want).
> What exact model of RAID controller is this? If it's a S100i SR Gen10 then
> it's not hardware RAID at all.

Yes, I found the information:
============================
HPE Smart Array Gen10 Controllers Data Sheet.

Software RAID

· HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 Software RAID

Notes:

- HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID will operate in UEFI mode only.
For legacy support an additional controller will be needed

- The S100i only supports Windows. For Linux users, HPE offers a
solution that uses in-distro open-source software to create a two-disk
RAID 1 boot volume. For more information visit:
https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/lsrrb/
====================
I have yet to look at this url.

>> I am planning two groupings of RAID1 (it has 4 bays).
>>
>> There is also an internal USB boot port.
>>
>> So I am really a newbie in working with RAID.  From this thread it
>> sounds like I want /boot and /boot/efi on that USBVV boot device.
> I suggest to use the USB device only to bot the installation medium, not
> use it for anything used by the OS.
>
>> Will it work to put / on the first RAID group?  What happens if the 1st
>> drive fails and it is replaced with a new blank drive.  Will the config
>> in /boot figure this out or does the RAID hardware completely mask the 2
>> drives and the system runs on the good one while the new one is being
>> replicated?

I am trying to grok what you are saying here.  is MD0-4 the physical
disks or partitions?

All the drives I am getting are 4TB, as that is the smallest Enterprise
quality HD I could find!  Quite overkill for me, $75 each.

> I guess the best thing would be to use Linux Software RAID and create a
> small RAID1 (MD0) device for /boot and another one for /boot/efi (MD1),

Here is sounds like MD0 and MD1 are partitions, not physical drives?

> both in the beginning of disk 0 and 1 (MD2). The remaining space on disk 0
> and 1 are created as another MD device. Disk 2 and 3 are also created as
> one RAID1 (MD3) device. Formatting can be done like this
>
> MD0 has filesystem for /boot
> MD1 has filesystem for /boot/efi
> MD2 is used as LVM PV
> MD3 is used as LVM PV

Now it really seems like MDn are partitions with MD0-3 on disks 1&2 and
MD3 on disks 3&4?

> All other filesystems like / or /var or /home... will be created on LVM
> Logical Volumes to give you full flexibility to manage storage.

Given using iRedMail which puts all mail store under /var/vmail, /var
goes on disks 3&4.

/home will be little stuff.  iRedMail components put their configs and
data (like domain and user sql database) all over the places. Disks 1&2
will be basically empty.  Wish I could have found high quality 1TB
drives for less...

thanks