[CentOS] OT? File order on CentOS/Samba server -- SOLVED (kind of...)

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Jan 24 17:23:38 UTC 2009

Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> Regardless of what that paper says, Distiller has ALWAYS processed the
>> files in alphabetical order under Windows. I have been doing so since
>> 2000 and Acrobat Distiller 4. We are now at 9. I refer, of course, to
>> the use of rundirx.

again, Windows NTFS directories are inherently stored in sorted order
because they are B-Tree indexes on the filename.

if this distiller process is being run from a "DOS" batch job in
Windows, you could perhaps use something like...

    for /f %%F in ('dir /b /on *.ps') DO @\path\to\distiller .... %%F ....

to run it on all *.ps files in the current working directory in
alphabetic order.