[CentOS] kernel not booting after update

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Fri Nov 13 14:03:12 UTC 2009

Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> I would backup ALL your file systems off that disk, perhaps using a
>>

> This is a fresh install, so that's not an issue.
>

>> Linux rescue CD, then configure the controller in the BIOS for JBOD,
>> use a rescue disk to build mdraid partitions, and restore your files
>> from the backups.   you may have to rebuild the /boot/initrd on the
>> system to dump the fakeraid (dmraid) driver and enable the mdraid
>> native linux raid driver
>>

> I'm interested in knowing why the machine isn't booting some kernels,
> but will happily boot another. I figure if it's a hardware issue, then
> it should be an all-or-nothing issue? I'm positive this is the same
> spec as the last servers built for this same purpose, but the others
> are now on the other side of the country, so I can't access them to
> verify.
>
> So assuming the hardware is exactly the same, and assuming there's
> something in the -164 kernel that doesn't like that particular fake
> raid card, then I still can't see why I can't boot the -128 kernel as
> that's what the other boxes have running. :/

Spiro,
I had a similar problem with an Intel MB shifting from -53 kernel to
newer and ended up with adding "nodmraid" to the kernel line in grub so
I could actually use the drives. For some reason no BIOS setting would
set the onboard fake raid into a mode that the kernel could deal with.
Suggest you do the back up and re-install with mdraid - has worked like
a charm since I did this.
HTH
Rob