[CentOS] CentOS for non-tech user

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 00:20:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fedora has the advantage to a RHEL/CentOS user of having the same
> install/admin tools.  But if you are turning the box over to someone
> else, Ubuntu makes much more of an effort to be user friendly.  And they
> haven't been quite so bad as Fedora about refusing to admit that
> proprietary code exists.

I set my brother up with CentOS 5.3 because, since I'm the one who is
going to maintain it, it might as well be something I understand and
like. He and his family seem to get along fine with it. When I go
over, I usually just run a quick update and make sure everything is
working up to snuff. Since he has VirtualBox on it, I also maintain
that -- mostly by rebuilding its kernel when the CentOS kernel is
updated.

(Not that I don't think that there are a lot of good Linux
distributions out there.)

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3