[CentOS] PHP version dilemma

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Fri Oct 5 17:51:11 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 07:06:14PM +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:

> @Todd: Just to clarify - the functionality and reliability
>        of php53 is not restricted/"faulty" or what ever ...

Actually, it is.  The EL php53 package does not "Provide: php" so any
other package depending on that being present will fail to install
without force.  This may or may not be a show-stopper in any particular
environment.  There is also no php-mcrypt available in the base CentOS
updates and this is a matter that upstream will not fix; it is, however,
available from EPEL for those that need it.  There used to be a number
of other issues with the base php53 packages as supplied by TUV but
many, if not most, of these have been since resolved.  I no longer track
the issues as I've long since moved to IUS for php requirements.

As Brian pointed out earlier IUS is the go-to source for php53 / php54
packages that work.  Please see:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

for more information.  There is also a yum-plugin-replace add-on from
IUS that will permit single transaction migration from stock php
packages to the IUS provided php53u packages.  Information is available
at the IUS website.

							John
--
We're not ending the journey today, we're completing a chapter of a journey
that will never end.  Let's light this shuttle one more time ... and

-- Atlantis Commander Chris Ferguson, just before the 11:29:29am EDT
   launch of STS-135, the final Space Shuttle mission, 8 July 2011