[CentOS] chipsets etc to avoid for CentOS 6.x

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 05:48:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:

> I've typically stuck to Intel CPUs, and prefer Gigabyte or Intel
> motherboards.  I'd prefer to minimize the likelihood of non-working
> or marginally-working hardware.

As for "Desktop" grade boards - officially Intel does not support
them.   Although they may well with Linux, in case of problems (RMA)
they will ask you to do Windows specific things before giving a RMA
number. Server boards - specific versions of RHEL + SLES mentioned for
the specific board; mention of CentOS or any other Linux distro
results in "unsupported" OS.   This has been my experience with Intel
in India.

Gigabyte does list Linux for their boards, albeit as caveat -- an example here:
<http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4388#sp>

I would suggest select a board that has been in the market for about 6
months.   Look up the chipset on the board and verify support for it
in the Linux kernel.   Also, besides costing a little less it will
most likely work with the latest incarnate of the OS.

-- Arun Khan