[Arm-dev] Getting started / Build machines

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Thu Jul 3 10:01:07 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-03 03:01, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>> we must save this man ( or woman, as the case might be )
>
> Faute de mieux as the French say it, I'm running linaro on my machines
> .
> For the Fedora image I could boot ( after a long hassle and following
> step by step Hans's instructions ) it would have taken way too much
> time
> to get graphic acceleration properly packaged and functional. For
> linaro
> is was dd if=image.iso of=sdcard && profit.

I usually hand pick the files I need from a distro that works
and then apply them to distro I want to run. For example,
RedSleeve EL6 doesn't come with a kernel because there are
too many SoCs to sensibly support - the official recommendation
is to use whatever kernel/modules/firmware your device came
with when using the EL6 userspace.

I guess the point I am getting to is that it's not an
either/or case, you can have the best of both. For
example, I use a Samsung Chromebook with RedSleeve and
the standard ChromeOS kernel.

Gordan