[Arm-dev] Alsa and Pulse conflicts in Raspberry Pi 2/3

Hugo De Zela hdezela at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:44:30 UTC 2016

Hi all, I've just finished doing some maintenance on a few of our
systems (we use them for digital signage) and noticed that all the ones
I've touched today have lost audio.

After some digging I found that the issue is Pulse Audio being installed
via some package dependency; apparently on the Rpi Pulse conflicts with
Alsa and audio stops working when they're both installed. Not 100% sure
what package pulled in Pulse (kinda putting out fires trying to revert
changes at the moment), but I'll look into it later.

Just as a general FYI to anyone having random audio issues with an Rpi
2/3, check if Pulse is installed. Removing it and rebooting should fix
the issue.

Cheers, HDZ