[Arm-dev] Cubieboard5 performance

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Aug 26 10:53:05 UTC 2018

> On 08/26/2018 06:05 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 08/22/2018 04:38 PM, Iván Chavero wrote:
>>> El lun, 20-08-2018 a las 16:06 -0300, Pablo Sebastián Greco escribió:
>> <snip>

>>> I will and report on this thread, thanks!
>>>
>> OK Guys,
>>
>> I bought a Cubieboard5 a very long time ago to test on CentOS-7.  Years
>> later, it finally works :).
>>
>> I worked with Pablo to test his 4.17.17 kernel, using this thread,
>> specifically this post:
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2018-August/003399.html
>>
>> I am happy to say that I now have it working now.
>>
>> My only real issues were:
>>
>> 1. The '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-link.sh' needing to be
>> deleted and a permanent MACADDR added.
>
> I have not deleted my ifcfg-link script (mine does not have the .sh
> extension?)  I just made the eth0

no '.sh' , that is the hazard of doing things from memory at 5am and not
looking in the actual directory :)

I deleted my file after deleting the connection .. no need for spare /
extra files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/  to confuse me later.

> But then I have cubie 2 and 3 (truck).
>
>> This post by Robert used to
>> Delete the ifcfg-link.sh and I created a static IP with a MACADDR:
>>
>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2018-August/003366.html
>>
>> (don't forget to edit ifcfg-eth0.sh and change HWADDR= to MACADDR=)
>
> Per the Network Manager list:
>
> nmcli con mod $ifname ethernet.cloned-mac-address "$your_mac"
>
> We did have an interesting discussion on the historical origin of these
> names and why they will remain as they are.
>
>> 2.  I am getting a usb bus hang .. it normally takes about 5 minutes for
>> the bus to reset, then everything seems to be OK.
>>
>> After setting everything up, I did try using the latest Fedora 29
>> Cubieboard5 u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin.  That one did not fix either the
>> MACADDR issue or the usb bus hang.
>
> Are you running on a sata drive with only uboot on the uSD card?  I
> would like to know how sata performance is.  Does it even boot (given
> your usb hang issue) from sata?  I remember way back Hans working on
> getting usb sata (in general) boot working for Allwinner, but I never
> tested the later uboot versions.

I am currently using just the uSD card on the cubietruck_plus .. I do
have a 5400 2.5" sata on a cubieboard3 .. but I boot from uSD on there
too .. and just mount in the sata drive for /home

But, I am not doing anything important on these test cards (I have a
cubieboard3, cubieboad5, Raspberry Pi 2B, and Raspberry Pi 3B).

I basically only use these to test the new install images when we do
point released and to run the t_functional suite (Prior to pushing updates):

https://github.com/CentOS/sig-core-t_functional

I also have an armhfp VM running on an aarch64 local machine using
Fabian's guide:

https://www.arrfab.net/posts/2017/Sep/29/using-centos-7-armhfp-vm-on-centos-7-aarch64/

We are working on getting a couple armhfp VMs into our CI system so that
I can do my normal Pre-Updates testing:

https://ci.centos.org/view/CentOS-Core/

Until we get some VMs rolled into the CI system, I run those preupdates
tests locally.

So I can't really answer your question about the sata performance .. but
I might consider buying a ssd and seeing what I can do with that at some
point soon.

Can we not use the NAND/TSOP to boot / run on the cubieboards?

I have never tried this, as I really only use these to demo stuff at
conferences or test the images and having them on a replaceable uSD card
is very convenient and I don't have any performance needs.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes