[Arm-dev] Cubieboard5 performance

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Aug 26 10:21:34 UTC 2018

On 08/26/2018 06:05 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 08/22/2018 04:38 PM, Iván Chavero wrote:
>> El lun, 20-08-2018 a las 16:06 -0300, Pablo Sebastián Greco escribió:
> <snip>
>
>>> Iván, I didn't have time today to build 4.18 today, but I pushed
>>> 4.17.17, and it should appear here
>>> https://armv7.dev.centos.org/repodir/community-kernel-latest/kernel/
>>> between today and tomorrow.
>>> It has smp for a83t (bananapi-m3 and cubieborard5)
>>> Your hdmi patch for cubieboard5.
>>> Some other fixes for R40.
>>>
>>> It would be great if you could test it.
>> I will and report on this thread, thanks!
>>
> OK Guys,
>
> I bought a Cubieboard5 a very long time ago to test on CentOS-7.  Years
> later, it finally works :).
>
> I worked with Pablo to test his 4.17.17 kernel, using this thread,
> specifically this post:
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2018-August/003399.html
>
> I am happy to say that I now have it working now.
>
> My only real issues were:
>
> 1. The '/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-link.sh' needing to be
> deleted and a permanent MACADDR added.

I have not deleted my ifcfg-link script (mine does not have the .sh
extension?)  I just made the eth0

But then I have cubie 2 and 3 (truck).

> This post by Robert used to
> Delete the ifcfg-link.sh and I created a static IP with a MACADDR:
>
> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/arm-dev/2018-August/003366.html
>
> (don't forget to edit ifcfg-eth0.sh and change HWADDR= to MACADDR=)

Per the Network Manager list:

nmcli con mod $ifname ethernet.cloned-mac-address "$your_mac"

We did have an interesting discussion on the historical origin of these
names and why they will remain as they are.

> 2.  I am getting a usb bus hang .. it normally takes about 5 minutes for
> the bus to reset, then everything seems to be OK.
>
> After setting everything up, I did try using the latest Fedora 29
> Cubieboard5 u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin.  That one did not fix either the
> MACADDR issue or the usb bus hang.

Are you running on a sata drive with only uboot on the uSD card?  I
would like to know how sata performance is.  Does it even boot (given
your usb hang issue) from sata?  I remember way back Hans working on
getting usb sata (in general) boot working for Allwinner, but I never
tested the later uboot versions.