[Arm-dev] File system corruption

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Dec 13 17:09:58 UTC 2018

On Dec 13, 2018, at 11:54, Stephan Guilloux <stephan.guilloux at crisalid.com> wrote:

> Stress test still running on reputable brand with no PB, after 6 or 7h.
>
> During this stressing session, we found a few broken SD, from another reputable brand.
> Not all cards, though, but enough to put some confusion... ;-)

Well, remember, we are dealing with flash RAM here. After enough write/erase cycles, it *will* wear out. The goal is to optimize the overall system to get maximum lifetime out of the media. For example, on our production setups we do things like putting ‘/var/log’ on tmpfs (it doesn’t matter for the particular application that the log data evaporates after reboots). That greatly reduces wear on the media, while still allowing log data to be accessed during a session for debug purposes.

Cheers!

|  You can never tell which way the train went by looking at the       |
|  tracks.                                                             |
|                                              -- Kramer's Law         |