[Arm-dev] File system corruption

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Thu Dec 13 17:22:42 UTC 2018

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 17:10 Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2018, at 11:54, Stephan Guilloux <stephan.guilloux at crisalid.com>
> wrote:
>
> Stress test still running on reputable brand with no PB, after 6 or 7h.
>
> During this stressing session, we found a few broken SD, from another
> reputable brand.
> Not all cards, though, but enough to put some confusion... ;-)
>

> Well, remember, we are dealing with flash RAM here. After enough
> write/erase cycles, it *will* wear out. The goal is to optimize the overall
> system to get maximum lifetime out of the media. For example, on our
> production setups we do things like putting ‘/var/log’ on tmpfs (it doesn’t
> matter for the particular application that the log data evaporates after
> reboots). That greatly reduces wear on the media, while still allowing log
> data to be accessed during a session for debug purposes.

Great advice indeed. Unfortunately, many packages expect directories in
/var/log to exist before they start and will break without them. A long
time ago I wrote a service called tmpersist that takes care of that, but
ultimately it was just left untriaged on RH bugzilla until it rotted -
seems I was the only one around who cared.

Make sure /tmp and /var/tmp are also mounted on tmpfs.