[CentOS-devel] �g

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Apr 8 23:10:16 UTC 2009

on 4-8-2009 2:36 PM R P Herrold spake the following:
> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Charlie Brady wrote:
>
>>> Just syncing slowly is what I've heard.
>
>> I hope that consideration will be given in future releases
>> to sync the SRPMS before the binaries, do avoid this time
>> skew.
>
> Let's see -- Perhaps one in 200 people USING CentOS binaries,
> use CentOS SRPMs.  Next look at the relentless railing and
> carping about 'delays' and 'lateness'.  Then look at the
> negligible (or at least minimal) responses to repeated
> requests for donation of additional resources to the project.
>
> SRPMs first is not likely a course likely to serve the largest
> number first, nor cut the pain of having to listen to the the
> larger source of thankless, thoughtless whimpering, I'd say
>
> A person wanting earlier SRPM access probably has to put up
> resources to facilitate such a path (I am aware of Shad Lord's
> recent mirror offer).  More bandwidth at the needed points
> [and avoiding fiber cuts] is harder to donate, sadly.
>
> Mirror flap seems to still be a problem as well, probably due
> to some mirrors not syncing against sub-masters properly, but
> rather trying to cross-sync, and so confusing inferior
> unofficial sub-sub-mirrors that have been improvidently
> edited in (based on main IRC channel diagnosis)
>
> I would be thrilled to have a simultaneous coordinated
> release, but the 'leak' of 'patched' torrent instances, and at
> least two mirrors opening the full ISO set before the
> coordinated bit flip date and time, leave rather a bad outlook
> to me as to the ability to make things better through such an
> 'inverted as to demand' approach
>
> My $0.02 .... I'd love to be shown a path to avoid the
> problems on the 5.3 roll-out
>
> -- Russ herrold
The first sync could be iso's with a strategic part cut off. A later rsync
could fill this in fairly quickly. Release rpms next for sync. After mirrors
are near on line create or at least restore metadata files to sync. If torrent
files are released, make sure they are created against the full ISO's before
chopping off a chunk. That way they will sit at near completion until the
ISO's are actually complete. Peers will have most of the ISO, but it will be
unusable until finished, and they can just wait also.

I actually waited until I saw the release announcement before I started a
torrent download, and have only yum updated a test server. I am not in a real
big hurry, as I already have plenty to do.

"The floggings will continue until morale improves"  ;-P