[CentOS-devel] LiveCD development

Scott Silva

ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon May 4 23:16:36 UTC 2009

on 5-2-2009 3:01 AM Dag Wieers spake the following:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> on 5-1-2009 12:19 PM Alan Bartlett spake the following:

>>> Result: Another potential user lost.
>>>
>>> Surely that didn't really need to be spelt out for you, Marcus?
>> The opposite would also be true...
>> Novice tries CentOS live CD and says "Wow, this works great. I want to install
>> CentOS!". Several hours later as he DL's the CD's to install it ,"Now this
>> piece of @#&% doesn't work". Also into the trash...
>
> So you prefer someone whose hardware would work on CentOS not use CentOS
> because he is under the impression that it does not work.
>
> This eg. includes wireless. If they use the LiveCD, no wireless.
>
> Seems counter-productive. And yes there is a good reason to run an
> enterprise linux on a netbook or a laptop. Saying there are better
> alternatives is a very personal statement.

No. I think they should both work the same, or at least have the live CD have
2 boot modes. A "test my hardware for CentOS" mode, and a "Give me the works"
mode. Otherwise, you would have to dl the first CD and try a minimal install,
possibly working, possibly not.
It is much easier to test a piece of hardware with a live CD that mimics the
intended installation exactly BEFORE you buy something rather than scramble
for drivers after the fact.