[CentOS-devel] CentOS 7 and release numbering

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Sun Jun 8 20:50:34 UTC 2014

On 06/08/2014 12:10 AM, Kay Williams wrote:
>> On Friday, June 06, 2014 5:44 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> Taking on board the community and environment expansion that is taking
>> place around the CentOS project, the CentOS Board has been considering
>> how best to accomodate these efforts.
>>
>> I'm attaching here a plan put forward by the board towards that aim.
>>
>> Thoughts ? Comments ?
>>

> Is the primary driver for the new versioning scheme the ability to expose
> SIG repos in the installer at a rate that differs from the RHEL release
> schedule?
>
> If so, seems like we could address this by coding up the new installer UI
> (whatever it is) to allows new repos to come along at varying rates and
> automatically appear in the UI.
>
> Then we get the best of both worlds - new SIG repos when they are ready, and
> compatibility with the RHEL versioning scheme.
>
> No?

I am also against changing core versioning number.

Question:
Have you decided to add repository files of SIG's into the main
ISO/repository? I am not aware of that. If you ARE gpoing to create core
distro different from RHEL releases, adding ALL repositories for EVERY
SIG, then X.YYMM can be accepted as versioning scheme.

BUT, if you plan to keep core distro sterile, comparable with RHEL, then
current versioning scheme must be kept in place, since it will be the
mirror of the RHEL releases.

If SIG's can keep up with released updates of core distro, then there is
no need to change their versioning either. They will just release
updated packages at the time of core release, or just add older package
in their own repo, which I am assuming will have priority over
base/os/updates repositories, so any later core version will work also.

But, as far as I can see, real problem will be that SIG's will be
needing NEWER packages then provided in core distro, so again that
package will be provided in their higher priority repository, and it
will be totally irrelevant what version core distro is.

It looks like we are again coming back to the issue of priorities of the
various repositories and their hierarchy that I think should be
incorporated into core distro by setting sane priority values (properly
separated) and mandatory installation of "yum-plugin-priorities" package.
Or at least to provide "centos-release-with-priorities" in Extras
repository that will replace "centos-release" and demand that
"yum-plugin-priorities" is installed.

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)