[CentOS-devel] CentOS7 minimal install ISO

Jeff Sheltren

jeff at tag1consulting.com
Thu Jun 26 16:22:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here is out current minimal kickstart package list. We use this as the
> basics to get a box installable from the ground up with everything else
> needed afterwords. There is still a lot of bike-shedding here: (postfix vs
> sendmail, remove prelink, biosdevname, etc) but it comes out to about 353
> packages and a disk usage of 888 MB. Ansible and yum gets the rest for us.
>
> %packages --nobase
> acpid
> authconfig
> bash-completion
> bind-utils
> -biosdevname
> -cronie-anacron
> cronie-noanacron
> crontabs
> dhclient
> iptables-services
> -iwl*
> -libertas*
> -logwatch
> mailx
> nfs-utils
> nmap-ncat
> ntp
> ntpdate
> openssh-clients
> openssh-server
> patch
> postfix
> -prelink
> rsync
> screen
> telnet
> tmpwatch
> traceroute
> -sendmail
> -sendmail-cf
> strace
> tmux
> vim-enhanced
> yum
> yum-utils

Stephen, thanks for sharing!  In my opinion I'd say "minimal" doesn't need
things like: mailx, nfs-utils, patch, rsync, screen, telnet, traceroute,
strace, tmux.  vim-enhanced I personally would like to include, but it's
not really minimal.

Just throwing that out there for discussion.  I don't have a strong
disagreement with your list -- although 888M does seem to be getting kind
of large.  I wonder what size Wolfy has stuff down to? :)

-Jeff